Just Another Wednesday…

I’m still sewing beads all over lace…

Madly stitching beads all over the lace, in hopes that I will be able to get the dress sewn together BEFORE the wedding lol

And my front yard isn’t looking as sparse as it was when I showed you all the copper trellis I made for it. We have since put in grass, an apricot tree, two passion fruits, a corn field and a gravel path. The “corn field” was/is meant to be a temporary garden. We had a lot of dirt left over from laying the grass, and have always wanted to grow corn in my front yard, and I somehow convinced Guy it would be a great idea. So I planted approx 90 corn seeds, and I’m hoping they all grow. I believe the deal I made was “as long as we can build a scarecrow for it”. So I’ve added a scarecrow to my to-do list.

The front yard is looking amazing now!

The back yard is all planted up now too. We are keeping the tomatoes covered for the next couple of weeks to try and avoid any late frosts. We’ve planted so many different things, I couldn’t tell you right now what I’m expecting to pop up in the coming weeks! It will be full of surprises!

Right along the back of the house we have our raised vege gardens. We planted so many seeds that I can’t remember what we planted any more. It’s sure to be a surprise 🙂
A very happy potato plant which self seeded from the compost we put in this bed. We are so excited to have a veggie garden again! It has been about 2 1/2 years since we last grew our own food!

Somehow a hens party got organised for me, after being very clear that I did not want one, and last week I had to make decisions about stuff (which is what I was trying to avoid). Anyways, I decided for an “activity” we should do a collaborative wall hanging. It’s this Saturday and I still have no idea where this is taking us. I’m thinking maybe applique and embroidering felt shapes together in a kind of felt medallion kind of style. This should mean those who don’t sew can keep it really simple, and those that do can go nuts on the embellishments.

It’s just over four weeks until the wedding. My to-do list looks like this :

  • Design and buy all the stuff for a “hens embroidery party”
  • Finish dress (finish beading, sew together, hem)
  • Put bouquet together (flowers are finished, just need to arrange and secure)
  • Paint a bunch of glass jars
  • Sew approx 20 covers for milk crates
  • Finish designing, then have made, then print, a screen print design for the favors bags. Then assemble bags.
  • Finish the LOVE sign (figure out supports and paint)
  • Make little tables (Cut circles of plywood and attach to cable reels)
  • Build a scarecrow…

And that’s just what I can remember…

Wish me luck! Still a few weeks to go…

Have a tops week!

Copper Garden Trellis

My weekdays are filled with crafts and work, my weekends filled with landscaping.

The exception for this week is I got to get a little creative with the garden work!

With a tight deadline (we have 6 weeks left to get it all done) we were running out of time to shop for the perfect garden trellises to go out the front of the house.

I’ve always loved working with copper, and have lusted after a copper tube garden trellis for a while now, so this was the perfect opportunity for me to branch into metal working for a day or two!

It was relatively easy, I cut all pipe to lengths of 50cm, and use fittings and Gorilla Glue to attach everything together. We totally sucked at the maths in the beginning, and then extended the measurements to fill the space better, so it took two trips to Bunnings to get all the required materials!

I marked and cut all my tubes to 50cm using a pipe cutter
Then the (not so much) fun part of cleaning the sticky left from the bar-codes off as well as printed markings
I layed it all out to make sure I had enough bits and it was how I wanted it
The fun part! Glueing! I used Guerilla Glue, time will tell if this was a correct choice!
I glued the fittings to all the horizontal pieces first. I had newspaper under everything I was glueing, so not to get it on the floor (managed to get it on the floor anyways! maybe this should have been an outside project…)
Then glue in the vertical tubes

Leave them to dry. The glue fully cures in 24hrs
The lovely Guy installed them. We used small curtain rod brakets to hold them in place and concreted the base into the ground
Installed! All ready for passionfruit vines to climb!

I shopped at Bunnings for all my supplies.

I used:

7 pieces of copper pipe 3/4″ x 1.5m

3 pieces of copper pipe 1/2″ x 1.5m

4 copper reducing elbows 20 x 15mm

16 copper capillary reducings 20 x 20 x 15mm

And a small amount of Gorilla Glue

Each trellis measured 2.5m high before concreting into the ground. Approx 2.25m is visible once installed

This was by no means a cheap DIY, but I did get to make something that’s been on my wish list for a while now and was able to customize it to our space. It would look totally awesome if you used recycled copper tube. Copper only gets prettier with wear and ageing! Alas, I didn’t have the time to source recycled materials for this project.

I’m off to buy the passionfruit this morning. We planted a dwarf apricot tree in one of the bricked up holes (in the photo above, you can see the edge at the very bottom right), and are searching for a dwarf mulberry for the other hole (to the left). Grass goes in this Saturday too! And Guy is super excited to chuck in some nasturtiums for a bit of colour over summer!

Hopefully after this weekend we will be finished with landscaping (apart from planting the veggie garden) for a while, or at least until after the wedding! We have a lovely recycled brick path planned for down the side of the house, that will be a summer holidays task!

Enjoy the rest of your week 🙂