A friend asked me to do some tutus and shirts for an upcoming event, so this week I have been madly knotting tulle and stressing over screen printing!
Guy and myself have decided that the collective term for “tutus” is “a cloud of tutus” this is quite fitting, wouldn’t you agree?
As we speak, I have my whole living room set up as a print studio. I got out the fold up table so I could have everything spread out at once. For some one who doesn’t have a lot of experience screen printing, I went pretty bold, deciding on a two colour print! Only time will tell if I can pull this off!
The weekend just gone saw the Old Bus Depot Markets hold their annual “wool expo”. This is a weekend I try not to miss! Its a good time to stock up on supplies, and find new people and shops to buy from.
Guy and myself have also signed up for the Anytime Fitness Tread as One challenge. We will be running for an hour at our local gym to support R U OK? on the 31st of May. It’s themed “Hollywood” so I suspect my next move is coming up with some kind of costume for it!
I found a large stash of white jeans at a factory seconds store and stockpiled. This week I started experimenting with dyeing them. So far I’ve dyed two pairs.
I also dyed a set of serviettes for my sisters birthday. Everyone loved these! I think they might be on my Christmas make list. Or at the least, I will use serviettes to practice on so I can have some pretty ones on my dining table!
Now I’m off to make tutus and t-shirts! I’ll be sure to share that adventure with you in a few weeks!
I’ve spent all morning trying to think of something to share with you all today. I’ve even spent the last few days trying to come up with something.
You see, what I’m working on at the moment is a little bit experimental (for me at least). And I think it has potential. But I also think it just isn’t there yet either.
But I have decided to share it with you anyways. Because, I think it’s important to give yourself the space to experiment, to test ideas, to develop your skill set. And I think we are so used to seeing polished work, that we forget that to get there, there were many hours of experimentation, tears, frustration and things that didn’t work out so good.
So this is my process so far…
I had a pile of black denim. Much of it had bleach marks. In its past life it was worn to work in a night club, and apparently they used a lot of bleach to clean stuff (which makes sense, cos those places are filthy!)
I had a vision. I wanted to make a bomber jacket with some extra bleached detailing. I sourced a pattern – McCall’s M7637. Heck I would love LOVE to be able to draft my own patterns. But I haven’t made many clothes in the past, so working with patterns will hopefully enable me to understand how clothing goes together a bit better before I go down that path!
I cut up all the jeans. I cut each leg off just below the crutch, then i cut up the inner leg seam, this then opened out into a nice big flat piece of fabric. I stitched these together as required to make pieces of fabric big enough to cut each pattern piece out of.
Once I had cut a back piece out, I jumped right into the bleaching process. I did minimal experiments on a small piece first, the went straight for the jacket piece. I used a white pencil to draw out a design. I filled a small bottle with a pointy bit with bleach gel, and used that to draw on top of the outlines.
It’s not that I don’t like how it worked or even the design I did. It’s just that I’m not feeling it. I can’t see it all coming together in a cohesive piece. This is the point I sit on it for a few weeks. Often I have an “AHA!” moment and figure out a way to finish it, others I just knuckle down and get it done to get it off my plate and move on to something else. And there is always the pieces I still have in the cupboard 10 (20?) years later that never came together but I can’t bare to start over with.
Some thoughts I’m having at the moment –
Would embroidery add a needed element?
Would applique give it some depth?
Does it just need more bleached patterning?
Am I game to touch the second jacket I have cut out?
Would adding more bleached areas and then dyeing back into it with colours work?
What am I actually going to do with these pieces once I finish them?
Anyways, I have a lot to think about. And I’m going to give myself a week to work through those questions before I start more experiments. For the rest of this week I think I will be dyeing. I have a lot of white jeans and fabric to work through. Although, I think that will be another task that will raise more questions than answers! Wish me luck!
I decided I desperately needed a pair of overalls in my life again. Because – who doesn’t?
So I channeled my high school days. That was the last time I remember owning a pair of overalls (They were black and spacious, I loved them!) and it was also a time in my life I was obsessed with up-cycling denim.
Denim is a pretty versatile fabric. Back in the days I used to make bags, quilts, pants, jackets and skirts out of it. It is cheap to buy at the op shop and often people will give it to you for free. It meant I could experiment without worrying about messing up expensive fabric. It also continued the life of this amazing textile.
I have been collecting every piece of denim that has come into my life since then. My small collection has been growing lately with cupboard clear outs and trips to the Green Shed to scour the free clothes bins.
So I chopped into the denim collection. Piecing together sections of fabric big enough for each pattern piece. The pattern I used was McCall’s M7547.
I learnt a lot making these. Like actually measure yourself before starting. These do not fit me (no matter how much Guy tries to persuade me they do). They are too tight across the thighs and belly.
No doubt I will try again in the near future, because I still really want a pair of overalls to wear!