I have been on maternity leave for a week already! You would think this post would be about me making things for my bub, but you’d be wrong!
A while ago I posted about this quilt I made. Well that bub’s little sibling arrived in December! So I thought it about time I got another quilt made!
Sticking with the same theme, I chose another panel by Gingiber for Moda, “Farm Fresh” in black and white. I added the same bright fabrics for the sashings and binding as I did for the first.
I used the same thread to give it that hand stitched detailing. But this time I added a little machine quilting as well!
I backed it with a snuggly flannelette!
I also managed to finish a little wall hanging that has been sitting in the UFO (unfinished objects) pile for quite some time!
This quilt started life as a bag of scraps some of my mums quilty friends sent my way. I stitched the triangles into pinwheels almost immediately, then mum gave me the blue to alternate with them. I loved how the orange gave it a bit of a pop! It was such an easy quilt I wonder why I left it so long to finish!
Phew! Thats week one down! I have three more weeks until BB’s due date. I still have to make curtains for his bedroom, and I just started designing him a quilt too! Wonder how much I’ll actually get done in between all the naps I’m taking!
I’ve been making baby quilts for two arrivals expected any day now.
I’ve just finished my second one. Take a look at the first one here.
For this one, I wanted it to vaguely match one I made for their sibling a few years back. It was rows of hearts in brightly coloured fabrics.
Because I had a bunch of fabrics left over from this one (and a whole bunch more that would fit in perfectly) I decided to use the same/similar fabrics for it. But to make it different, I decided stars might be a nice addition to the hearts.
After a lot of umming and ahhhing I settled on a paper foundation pieced star. The pattern is a free one by Threadbare Creations and can be found here. I changed it a little. Because I didn’t want two tone stars, I did the star bits in one piece instead of two.
After making one star, my initial reaction was “hell no! I’m not making a whole quilt from those!” It was my first time trying paper foundation piecing. And it was a lot more fiddly than anything I’d tried before. But I love a challenge. And I’m a sucker for punishment. I took it as an opportunity to explore this technique further.
I made a lot of mistakes, there is a whole bunch of areas I have “fixed” by adding more fabric when the piece I was using didn’t quite fit.
I had my heart set on making nine stars. Then just keep adding borders until it was big enough. It wasn’t until my mum came and told me that I should make 12, that I relented and made more.
I machine quilted this one. Around the sashing and around the stars. And that green fabric I have used in the sashing and the binding, its one of my favourites. This is the third quilt I have used that fabric in!
And all completed! I put a lovely rainbow fish flannel on the back for the warmest snuggles!
I’m so excited to meet the recipients of these quilts for the first time!